Connect with us

World

Nearly 100 people missing as oceanfront Miami-area building collapses

Nearly 100 people missing as oceanfront Miami-area building collapses
Image Credit: REUTERS

Nearly 100 people missing as oceanfront Miami-area building collapses

Rescue teams smashed tons of wreckage Thursday in search of survivors after part of an oceanfront apartment tower collapsed overnight near Miami. Officials said at least one person was killed and nearly 100 others were injured.

The search team found bangs and other sounds. But there was no sound coming out of the ruins, the official said.

The reason why the 40-year-old building collapsed into a pile within seconds is still unknown. Although local officials say the 12-story tower has undergone roof construction and other repairs.

Daniela Levin Cava, Mayor of Miami-Dan He told reporters that 99 people remained unidentified for about 18 hours after the landslide. Although some may not have been in the building at the time, another 102 people whose address was unknown were identified and “Declared it safe,” he said.

Fire officials have previously said 35 people were evacuated from multiple layers of leftist response and response units using trained dogs and drones to find survivors.

Pull two people out of the rubble – one of them is dead.

Miami-Dand Police Commissioner Freddie Ramirez said: “The fire and rescue are there with the search team along with their dogs. Now, this is a very dangerous site. It’s very unstable.” “They’re in search and rescue mode and will stay in this mode for a while they don’t stop They will work all night. They don’t stop.”

‘Just pray’

Ramirez said the number of known victims and missing persons is likely to fluctuate.

He said, “I don’t want to set false expectations.” “This is a sad situation for these families and for the community.”

Oliver Gilbert, vice president of the county council, said: “I just have to please everyone, just pray.”

Sally Hayman, Miami-Dade County Commissioner Told CNN earlier in the day that 51 known officials “expected” to live in the building. It’s home to year-round residents, and some “snowmen” spend the winter in Florida.

Officials said the building which was built in 1981 is in the process of being renovated which need to be repaired There is another building under construction nearby.

“Obviously there is a structural problem. The building collapsed,” Levine Cava told reporters. He said civil engineers were working with firefighters to dry the left part of the building.

Jenny Urgeles awoke to the news that her parents’ building had collapsed. he called them But their phone went straight to an answering machine, he told WSVN 7 News.

Advertisement
Click to comment

featured

Blast in Afghan capital as Taliban claim attack on minister’s compound

Blast in Afghan capital as Taliban claim attack on minister’s compound
(Photo: Reuters )

Blast In Afghan Capital As Taliban Claim Attack On Minister’s Compound

KABUL, Aug 4- An explosion near the office of Afghanistan’s main security force injured three people on Wednesday, hours after a bomb exploded and struck a minister’s building that sparked Taliban violence in the capital.

The Taliban blamed the incident on Tuesday at the home of Defense Minister Bismillah Mohammadi. There were no allegations of Wednesday’s explosion.

Mohammad survived the assault on his compound within the closely fortified part of Kabul, however, the violence was a robust sign of a decline in safety as US-led overseas forces minimize off their withdrawals and Islamist insurgents settled in sure elements of the nation.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said his team was aiming for the minister’s resignation as an important meeting was underway.

Government troops fought the attackers for greater than 4 hours, and the Interior Ministry stated a minimum of eight individuals had been killed and 20 wounded.

Also Read: Athens suburbs brace for night inferno as blaze burns homes

A bomb blast near the National Security Directorate on Wednesday injured two civilians and a security official, police said.

The Taliban have intensified their campaign to defeat the US-backed government since April, as foreign forces complete their withdrawal after 20 years of war.
Near the western border, Battle was particularly intense in the town of Herat, with Iran and Laskar Gah and in southern Kandahar.

An Afghan military spokesman said a state of emergency had been declared in Laskar Gah and that government troops were receiving US assistance and air support. “Special troops have been sent to the area. It is in good condition,” military spokesman General Azmal Omar Shingwari told Reuters.

The loss of Lashkar Gah could be a major blow to the government, which has promised to protect strategic institutions after losing many rural areas to the Taliban in recent months.

Many families have fled their homes in the small town, the provincial capital of Helmand when government forces attacked the Taliban.

Continue Reading

featured

Athens suburbs brace for night inferno as blaze burns homes

Athens suburbs brace for night inferno as blaze burns homes
A volunteer firefighter tries to extinguish a wildfire at Varympompi suburb north of Athens, Greece, August 3, 2021.(Photo: Reuters )

Athens suburbs brace for night inferno as blaze burns homes

ATHENS, Aug 3 – An uncontrolled fire broke out in northern Athens on Tuesday, burning houses and forcing officials to evacuate as they fought 81 fires in the jungle during one of Greece’s worst storms in 30 years.

At night, more than 500 firefighters fought the blaze on the lower slopes of Mount Parnitha, with the help of nine helicopters, seven planes, and 305 policemen in the grassy area of ​​Varybopi and Adams.

“This is a difficult day in the country, we have attacked 81 forests in the last 24 hours due to bad weather,” Deputy Minister of Public Safety Nikos Hardalias told reporters.

Temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) and winds have created fires in various parts of Greece in recent days. On Tuesday, some points recorded temperatures above 46 degrees Celsius (115 Fahrenheit).

The fire in northern Athens has had three major wars in the cities of Varybopi, Adames, and Trakomakedones, burning houses and cars and forcing residents to leave.

“We will continue to fight all night, our priority is to save lives,” he said.

Authorities have removed valuables from the former royal estate in Tatoi, and the Civil Protection Service has ordered residents of Olympic Village to leave their homes. They could stay in other hotels at state expense.

Also Read: More than 800 flights canceled across US

Seven people were taken to hospital with respiratory problems.

Earlier, the children were evacuated from the summer camp, and residents were told to leave their homes in Varybopi, Adames, and Thrakomakedones, about 12 miles [20 km] north of the city of Athens.

Others regularly protect their homes with garden hoses. The explosion was heard when a fire hit an unknown number of houses. Equestrian clubs allow horses to be free from fire.

P. M. Kyriakos Mitsotakis visited the fire brigade, which directs efforts to reduce fires and other fires, on the Peloponnese Peninsula and on the islands of Evia and Kos.

His office said in a statement, “All methods and resources have been used in the struggle in many quarters,”. “In these difficult times, the protection of human life is paramount.”

In Athens, the head of the IPTO power grid said fires had damaged parts of the grid, posing a serious threat to the supply of electricity to parts of the metropolitan area.

“Many houses are on fire,” Michalis Brettos, Acharnes’ local deputy mayor, told Open TV as heavy smoke rose above the houses behind him.

Also Read: Surfing, skating buoys viewership while ratings suffer

The fire disrupted train services and forced authorities to block part of the national highway.

Europe is experiencing severe weather, from floods in the north to severe temperatures and fires that sweep through much of the Mediterranean region.

Greece’s neighbor Turkey faces fires near one of the most popular tourist attractions on the seventh day in a row.

Continue Reading

featured

More than 800 flights canceled across US

More than 800 flights canceled across US

Spirit Airlines, American Airlines cancel more than 800 flights

On Monday, more than 800 flights and thousands of Spirit Airlines and American Airlines passengers faced cancellations and delays in the final crisis of a summer trip.

The planes canceled more than 800 flights together on Monday and delayed more than a thousand.

A Spirit spokesman told ABC News that the cancellation was the result of a “good storm”, blaming the weather, the shortage of staff and crew by reaching the limits of time where they were able to fly legally.
In order to continue their aviation activities, they first canceled 313 flights, which is about 40% of their daily flight. The cancellation provided the Spirit with a “breathing space” to ensure that crew and planes could reach the right places, the speaker said.

Disappointed passengers wrote on social media tweets that they were trapped, forced to wait in long lines, or sent back.

Also Read: ‘No democracy is perfect’: US Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Centre’s backslide on human rights issue

“We are working around the clock to get back on track after the weekend break due to the inclement weather and business challenges,” Spirit said in a statement. “We needed to be vigilantly canceled for other flights on the network, but most of the flights are still scheduled as planned.”

U.S. Airlines canceled 529 flights on Monday, about 20% of its daily flight.

The superintendent told ABC News that bad weather was still recovering on Sunday in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. The spokesman said severe storms had occurred and at least 80 planes should be relocated to other airports, adding that planes and crews were currently being evacuated to improve efficiency. The cancellation comes as air travel continues to break the epidemic record.

Also Read: UK prime minister Johnson and wife expecting another baby -media

Officials from the Transportation Security Service (TSA) surveyed more than 2.2 million people at US airports across the country on Sunday – the highest number of checkpoints since the epidemic began.

All American airlines and the TSA have borne the brunt of the crew, as flights have risen sharply from historically low levels, approaching pre-epidemic levels.

Continue Reading

featured

Some wildfires rage on in Turkey, affecting coastal resorts

Some wildfires rage on in Turkey, affecting coastal resorts
(Photo: Reuters )

Some wildfires rage on in Turkey, affecting coastal resorts-

ISTANBUL, Aug 1 – Turkish firefighters battled Sunday’s fight against a raging wildfire in the towns of Manavgat and Marmaris, with some tourists fleeing Bodrum on the Aegean coast.

Most of the fires that broke out in Turkey in the past five days were reported, officials said. However, fires were still raging in Manavgat in the south and Marmaris in the west, fueled by extreme heat and wind, said Forest Minister Bekir Paktemirli.

In the popular tourist town of Bodrum, a group of tourists and hotel staff were taken away by boat as flames spread and smoke particles filled the sky. Some visitors have been excluded in recent days. On Sunday morning, Pakdemirli said a fire had broken out in the area.

Also  Read: Mastermind behind deadly 2019 Kashmir attack killed in shootout -Indian police

About 107 of the 112 fires that have erupted in the past five days in Turkey have been contained since Sunday morning, according to the Department of Forestry.

Six people have been killed in wildfires in southern and western Turkey since Wednesday, and thousands have been evacuated. Locals and support teams from Russia, Ukraine, Iran and Azerbaijan have been deployed to help firefighters.

Also  Read: Couple charged with involuntary manslaughter after gender reveal sparks deadly fire

In neighboring Greece, firefighters were trying to catch a blaze in the west of the country that destroyed homes and left 15 people in hospital with respiratory problems on Saturday, authorities said. Temperatures have been the highest in the country in recent days and are expected to reach 44 degrees on Monday and Tuesday.

On the Italian island of Sicily, firefighters said on Saturday they were fighting a second fire in the city of Catania, forcing people to flee their homes and the local airport to be temporarily closed.

Continue Reading

featured

Mastermind behind deadly 2019 Kashmir attack killed in shootout -Indian police

Mastermind behind deadly 2019 Kashmir attack killed in shootout -Indian police
(Photo: Reuters )

Mastermind behind deadly 2019 Kashmir attack killed in shootout -Indian police

SRINAGAR, India, July 31 – The mastermind of the 2019 attack Kashmir that killed 40 Indian soldiers has been killed in a fire with security forces, Indian police said in Kashmir on Saturday.

Mohammad Ismail Alvi, commander of Jaish-e-Mohammad’s militia group, was killed south of the Srinagar regional capital Vijay Kumar, a Kashmir police official told Reuters.

“Mohammad Ismail Alvi, also known as Lambo, nicknamed Adnan, belonged to the family of Massoud Azhar.

Also Read: Nearly 13 killed in IS attack on funeral north of Baghdad

On February 14, 2019, A suicide bomber struck a car on a bus carrying Indian police in Kashmir, killing 40 of them in an incident that killed scores of people for decades by security forces in a disputed area, sparking tensions with the Pakistani enemy.

Pakistani-based militant group Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) blamed the attack.

Also Read: Some wildfires rage on in Turkey, affecting coastal resorts

The government of India has blamed Pakistan for allowing militant groups to operate from its territory and has called for action. Islamabad said it had rejected a proposal related to the attack.

Kashmir is a predominantly Muslim region in the middle of decades of animosity between nuclear India and Pakistan. Both neighbors control parts of the area, claiming that the whole area belongs to them.

Continue Reading

World

UK prime minister Johnson and wife expecting another baby -media

UK prime minister Johnson and wife expecting another baby -media
(Photo: Reuters )

UK prime minister Johnson and wife expecting another baby -media

LONDON, July 3 – Prime Minister Boris. England’s Johnson and his wife Carrie are pregnant with their second child. British media reported on Saturday.

Their first child, Wilfred, was born last April.

According to a report of a newspaper, Carrie told her friend in a post on the social media app Instagram that she felt “Incredibly blessed” to be pregnant again.

He also said he had a miscarriage earlier this year.

Also Read: UK minister Matt Hancock, who broke Covid-19 rules by kissing aide, resigns

“I have found genuine consolation from those who have also experienced a loss. So I hope this can help others in a small way.”“Fertility problems can be difficult for a lot of people. Especially when on a platform like Instagram it may seem like everything is going well,” he said.

Also Read: Spirit Airlines, American Airlines cancel more than 800 flights

The couple got married in May of this year. The 57-year-old prime minister has been married twice in the past. and refused to say how many children he had. He has four children with his second wife, Marina Wheeler, who is a lawyer.

Carrie, 33, is expected to give birth in December, according to media reports.

Continue Reading

Trending

Translate »