Connect with us

World

Italy’s cable cars plunged to ground, killing at least 14

Italy’s cable cars plunged to ground, killing at least 14
Image Credit: AP News

Italy’s cable cars plunged to ground, killing at least 14

ROME (AP) —On Sunday, a cable car that leads visitors to a hilltop overlooking some of northern Italy’s most picturesque lakes fell to the ground and then collapsed on a steep slope, killing 14 people.

Authorities said the lone survivor, a small child, had been treated for severe fractures.

The Israeli foreign ministry said the six deaths were Israeli citizens, including four families living in Italy. It’s unclear if the two were in a relationship.

The mayor of Stresa, the site of the accident, said it looked like a broken cable, sent the cable car to take care of it until it hit a pole and fell to the ground.

At this point, the car overturned. Mayor Marcella Severino said, “Two or three times before they hit a tree”. Some of the dead were thrown from the huts.

The government of Italy has announced a committee to analyze the disaster, which’s probably to renew questions about the excellent and safety of Italy’s transportation infrastructure.

Some pictures from the site indicate a crumpled car in a thick pine-bamboo break near the summit of Mottarone, overlooking Lake Maggiore.

The cable car is assumed to have fallen approximately 15 meters (50 toes) in line with Italian media.

“It becomes a horrible and horrible set,” Severino informed Italy’s SkyTG24.

Collisions on the Stresa-Mottarone line It occurred about 100 meters before the last post, said Walter Milan, spokesman for the Italian Alpine Rescue.

Also Read: 2 dead, 12 injured in New Jersey birthday party shooting

As of Sunday afternoon, the loss of life toll rose to fourteen after one in two youngsters taken to the Regina Margherita kid’s clinic in Turin died.

The child died after several and failed attempts to restart his heart and “We can’t do anything else,” said hospital spokesman Pier Paulo Berra. Officials said another toddler who had come to the hospital consciously was still in critical condition.

Milan noted that the cable was renovated in 2016 and reopened recently following the closure of the coronavirus in Italy, reducing travel and forcing the ban on many leisure activities.

Milan suggests that families can flock to the mountains on a sunny Sunday after months of restrictions.

The line is popular with both tourists and locals alike on the Mottarone scale, reaching 1,491 meters (4,900 feet) high and overlooking many picturesque lakes and the surrounding Alps of Italy’s Piedmont region.

The mountain is home to the small theme park Alpyland, which has a train for children, and the area also has mountain biking and hiking trails.

prime Minister Mario Draghi expressed his condolences to the victim’s family with special take care of critically injured children and their families

The tragedy on Sunday appeared to be Italy’s worst cable car disaster since 1998, when a US military jet flew over a funicular to Cavales in the Dolomites, killing 20 people.

Italy’s Transport Minister Enrico Giovannini announced a committee to investigate the tragedy and said he had requested information on previous maintenance work and inspections. He plans to visit the website on Monday.

Although still unable to determine the cause. But the disaster likely raised questions about Italy’s transportation infrastructure. In 2018, the Morandi Bridge in Genoa collapsed after years of negligence, killing 43 people.

In 2009, an oil tanker train derailed at Viareggio Station near Lucca exploded, killing 32 people.

President Sergio Mattarella expressed his condolences, urging. “Follow all safety rules strictly” in transportation.

Associated Press writer Joseph Federman in Jerusalem contributed to this report.

Advertisement
Click to comment

World

Afghan Deputy Prime Minister Mullah Baradar refutes reports of injury, death in clash

Afghan Deputy Prime Minister Mullah Baradar refutes reports of injury, death in clash
Photo: ANI

The founder of the Taliban and Deputy Prime Minister Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar on Wednesday denied internal strife in the new Taliban interim government in Afghanistan and denied he was injured during a dispute at the Kabul presidential palace.

In an interview with Afghanistan’s national television, which was posted on Twitter by the Taliban political office in Doha, Baradar has denied rumors that he was injured or even killed in an altercation last week at the Kabul presidential palace, CNN reported.

Asked about the rumors, Baradar said: “No, this is not true at all. Thank God I am in good health and healthy. As for the media who say we have internal conflicts, which is not true.

Play Free Online Games: Play our fun and Top free games !

“Thank God, we have a great deal of goodness and mercy among us, which is not even in the family. In addition, we have been suffering and sacrificing for many years to complete this work. That is not the power or position.”

Rumors are flowing – and generally gave an account of online media – that Bararar was injured during conflicts between Taliban groups and the powerful Haqqani organization, which stands firm on key footings in Afghanistan’s interim government.

Baradar initially denied the allegations in an audio clip on Monday, but no videos or photos were available at the time, CNN reported.

Baradar said he had walked out of Kabul without reaching the media to protest the allegations. “Thusly, we console the Afghan country and all the Mujahideen all over not to stress by any means, and nothing to stress over,” he added.

Baradar was also asked why he did not meet with Qatari foreign minister during a visit to Kabul on Sunday. Baradar appeared to be at odds with acting Afghan Prime Minister Mullah Mohammad Hassan Ahmad during a meeting with Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani, CNN reported.

Also Read: 3 dead, 20 injured in Taliban suicide bombing in Pakistan

“We didn’t realize that the Foreign Minister was from Qatar. On the off chance that we had known, we would have delayed our outing. And we were on a trip, so the meeting did not take place,” Baradar said.

“It would not have been possible for us to return from a trip to meet with the Minister of Foreign Affairs. If we had received the news early, we would probably have joined other friends at the meeting.” Taliban officials said Baradar had gone to Kandahar, where the party’s leader, Haibatullah Ahudjana, was reported.

Baradar is at the top of the Taliban political office and has driven Doha to converses with the previous government and the United States.

Some expected him to be appointed Prime Minister, but after lengthy negotiations on the formation of a new government, Baradar was appointed Deputy Prime Minister, CNN reported.

Continue Reading

World

N.Korea says it tested new railway-borne missile system to strike ‘threatening forces’

N.Korea says it tested new railway-borne missile system to strike ‘threatening forces’
KCNA via REUTERS

SEOUL, Sept 16 – The rockets fired by N.Korea on Wednesday were a test of a new “train equipment” program designed to detonate any forces threatening the country, state news agency KCNA reported.

The arrows flew 800 kilometers (497 miles) before hitting the target on the east coast of North Korea, reports KCNA.

Play Free Online Games: Play our fun and Top free games !

On Wednesday, South Korean and Japanese authorities said they had seen the launch of two missiles from N.Korea, just days after exploring seawater that analysts said could have nuclear power.

The launch of North Korea came on the same day that South Korea tested a ballistic missile (SLBM), and became the first country without nuclear weapons to carry out such a program.

Both Koreans are in a fast-growing armored race, with both sides displaying powerful arrows and other weapons.

Also Read: Myanmar shadow government calls for revolt against military rule

However, North Korea’s nuclear tests have caused condemnation and concern around the world, with the United States violating UN Security Council resolutions and posing a threat to Pyongyang’s neighbors.

North Korea is slowly developing its weapons, increasing betting on policy negotiations aimed at eliminating its nuclear and ballistic missiles in order to reduce American sanctions.

The North Korean test was conducted by an arrow missile earlier this year, a KCNA report said.

“The missile system serves as a counter-intuitive force,” said Pak Jong Chon, a North Korean general and a member of the ruling Republican Party’s ruling Bureau, according to KCNA.

Continue Reading

Top News

Taiwan plans $9 bln boost in arms spending, warns of ‘severe threat’

Taiwan plans  bln boost in arms spending, warns of ‘severe threat’
Photo: Reuters

TAIPEI, Sept 16 – On Thursday Taiwan proposed an additional T$240 billion ($ 8.69 billion) defense over the next five years, including new arrows, as it warned of an urgent “urgent need for China’s largest neighbor.”

Taiwanese President Xi Ying-wen has made armed militants – well-armed but ashamed of the Chinese – a very important factor and increasing security spending, especially as Beijing increases its political pressure on the island. “Holy” is a Chinese place.

The new money, valued at T$471.7 billion in military spending by 2022, will have to be approved by parliament, where the ruling Tsai party has a large margin, meaning its passing must be smooth.

Play Free Online Games: Play our fun and Top free games !

“Chinese communists have continued to invest heavily in national defense budgets, their military capabilities are growing rapidly and they often send planes and ships to attack and disrupt our seas and territories,” the Taiwanese Ministry of Defense said in a statement. . meeting.

“In the face of major threats from the enemy, the country’s military has been involved in military recruiting and preparatory work and it is urgent that we have a massive production of weapons and equipment in a timely manner.”

Defense Secretary Wang Shin-lung has told the media that all new weapons will be developed in the domestic market as Taiwan strengthens its manufacturing capacity, although the United States is likely to remain a major supplier of goods and technology.

Taiwan was determined to show that it could defend itself, especially in the midst of questions about whether the United States would help if China attacked.

Also Read: China shows off defence diplomacy with multinational peacekeeping drill

“Only if we ensure our safety and show determination will the international community think well of us,” said Lo Ping-Cheng, a Cabinet spokesman. “Others will only help us if we help ourselves.”

The weapons Taiwan intends to buy with the money include archers and warships, the department said.

Taiwan is testing long-range missiles in its southern and eastern parts, and while it did not provide details, strategists and experts said they could not hit targets far from China.

More money may have been received by Washington, pressuring Taiwan to modernize its troops so that it could move more and more into a “pig” that is difficult for China to attack.

Taiwan has already introduced a new category of highly sophisticated warships, Taiwan has been dubbed the “aircraft killer” due to the addition of arrows and is developing its own submarines.

The announcement comes as Taiwan is in the middle of a military exercise in the year of Han Kuang. Learn more

On Thursday, the Taiwanese military aimed to prevent an offensive attack by firing into the sea off the coast of its southern coast.

Continue Reading

Top News

China shows off defence diplomacy with multinational peacekeeping drill

China shows off defence diplomacy with multinational peacekeeping drill
REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins

QUESHAN, China, Sept 15 – Chinese troops completed their first peacekeeping mission on Wednesday, demonstrating their ability to fight with drones and mine-clearing robots as they seek to create a better image.

As the Asian giant upgrades and strengthens its troops, raising hundreds of billions of dollars a year in its defense budget, it has also sought to reassure other countries that its military is power for great, not a danger.

Also Read: Taiwan plans $9 bln boost in arms spending, warns of ‘severe threat’

About 1,000 soldiers from China, Pakistan, Mongolia, and Thailand took part in a ten-day training program for the People’s Liberation Army in Queshan County in central Henan Province, though most of the soldiers appear to be Chinese.

The mission, inscribed with the name “Shared Destiny 2021,” emphasized China’s position “as a defender of world peace and security,” Colonel Lu Jianxin, a military expert in China, told reporters.

Play Free Online Games: Play our fun and Top free games !

Soldiers, in front of a small group of journalists, observed the clashes between terrorists and peacekeepers in the war-torn land of Karana.

The operation was based on a 2016 incident in Mali when a Chinese peacekeeper killed one of them.

The military also reported the location of an incident based on another incident in 2016 in South Sudan, where peacekeepers were supposed to protect civilians involved in clashes between groups.

In another case, unmanned planes flew to the battlefield to retrieve bombs, which, in turn, detonated robots. Drones also doubled as speakers and distributed colorful tracts urging people to stop fighting.

Exercise has also been an exhibition of Chinese military equipment. Foreign troops are being trained in Chinese weapons and equipment.

“The utilization of Chinese hardware by unfamiliar soldiers could be viewed as an indication of work on military participation … also, fully intent on offering it to unfamiliar soldiers, said Collin Koh, a security researcher in Singapore at the Rajaratnam School of International Studies.

China has repeatedly tried to alleviate concerns in neighboring countries even more with its military intentions, even though it regularly conducts tests near Taiwan called China and the disputed South China Sea.

China shows off defence diplomacy with multinational peacekeeping drill
Pakistan soldiers take part in a multinational U.N. peacekeeping military exercise with troops of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA), Mongolia, and Thailand, on the outskirts of Zhumadian, Henan province, China September 15, 2021. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins

China is proud to be the world’s largest peacekeeping force, represented by five permanent members of the UN Security Council.

As the second-largest financial contribution, China accounted for 15% of the total cost of UN peacekeeping operations by 2020.

Since 1990, it has sent 50,000 troops to take part in 25 international peacekeeping missions, built or repaired more than 10,000 miles [17,000 km] of roads and bridges, and cleared 18,000 mined, says expert Lou.

Continue Reading

Top News

Three killed after gas explosion destroys residential building in Russia

Three killed after gas explosion destroys residential building in Russia
via REUTERS

MOSCOW, September 11 – Three people, including an 11-year-old girl, were killed in a gas explosion in a two-story building in a Russian suburb on Saturday morning, said by Igor Artamonov, the head of Lipetsk region.

Videos show the damage to a building in Solidarnost, a village about 400 km (250 miles) south of Moscow, and local rescuers, who are trying to clear away debris.

Play Free Online Games: Play our fun and Top free games !

Six other people were injured, the TASS agency reported, quoting Vassily Razmunov, head of the local emergency department.

The regional branch of the Russian Commission of Inquiry said a gas explosion in the center of the building caused the collapse.

Investigators say they have launched a criminal case on the grounds that the services provided do not meet security requirements.

Gas explosions are very common in Russia because of the aging infrastructure and minor safety regulations related to gas use. Two people were killed earlier this week when a nine-story building exploded.

Continue Reading

UK

UK PM Johnson’s Conservatives see support slump to lowest since election – poll

UK PM Johnson’s Conservatives see support slump to lowest since election – poll
REUTERS / Toby Melville

LONDON, September 10 – Support for Britain’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson has left the opposition on the lowest level since the 2019 general election, a poll said after announcing a tax increase on health and health care.

The poll, conducted by YouGov of the Times, found that Conservatives’ support had dropped by five points to 33%, while labor had risen by one point to 35%, ahead of Johnson’s party for the first time since January.

Play Free Online Games: Play our fun and Top free games !

Johnson unveiled plans on Tuesday to raise taxes on workers, employers, and other investors in an attempt to address the financial and health care crisis, offending some in his ruling party by violating election promises and jeopardizing traditional party support for lower taxes.

“We have to be careful to get too many conclusions in one survey, but … it seems the government may have given up its reputation for low taxes among Tory voters without incurring huge debt with the help of the NHS,” Anthony Wells said. , director of policy research at YouGov, referring to the National Health Service.

Despite criticism from Conservative lawmakers, the majority supported the proposals, and Johnson successfully won the vote on Wednesday.

Cultural Secretary Oliver Dowden underestimated the importance of voting, adding that investment in the health sector would be acceptable to voters in the forthcoming general elections, scheduled for 2024.

He revealed to Sky News, “Casting a ballot goes back and forth, which is how the public authority deals with settle on long-term decisions to help the country.”

“Ultimately, voters reward governments that are willing to take tough decisions to protect national interests.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Translate »